Who Access was a small application I built for our dev ops lead. He wanted a way to keep track of all the services our company was using.
Our company did a poor job of keeping track of the services we were using and who was using/had access to those services.
At first, it seems like such a small issue but then you realize the issue was creating unnecessary infrastructure, costing us money (thousands a month it turned out) & opening us up to security issues. For example:
- We had services we were paying for that we unused.
- Certain services we had two separate accounts with when one account would’ve saved us money.
- We had services that did identical things. We had 3 email marketing providers.
- We were paying services ‘per user’ for employees no longer in the company.
- Former employees were using our accounts for personal use. IE creative cloud, AWS, etc.
No one really did anything about it so I took a crack at it in my personal time.
The goals of the app were simple:
- Create a platform for our dev ops team to review services and their total costs.
- Create a landing page for employees to request access to these services.
- Have a simple platform to know who has access to what.
The service request page sends temporary passwords to emails already in the system. This allowed users to simply enter their email instead of creating an account for a task they did relatively infrequently.
Employees could click a service on the left to learn more about the service and then request access. You can see the small ‘access pending’ next to the service name if they already requested access.
The dashboard is where you could get a high level view of the services the company used, when they were charged, the cost, how many people were using each service, and where service requests would come in.
In green you can see the service request page URL.
Our dev ops lead was a little confused on how to get started so I created a onboarding process to walk him and others through selecting services they use, how much they cost, and who uses them.
I was iterating based on feedback from our dev ops team. Here are some of the earlier versions.